Big Sippin’ in Soma
Learn, drink, and celebrate craft beer in the neighborhood that was the heart of SF’s pre-prohibition brewing industry and has led the charge in its craft beer revolution.
Beer included at 3 locations!
2PM-6PM / $99.99
Get behind the scenes
Our SOMA beer crawl is the perfect way for a craft beer lover to spend an afternoon in San Francisco. Half tour, half celebration, there is a focus on craft beer education and bringing SOMA to life as you enjoy many generous samples of unique locally made beer and become fast friends with the others on tour.
We will visit three venerable San Francisco microbreweries and/or beer bars and use our industry connections to bring each stop to life in a way you could not achieve on your own. We will explain the unique role each of our destinations plays in the craft beer scene and provide some background behind each beer you consume.
Whenever possible, we will take you behind the scenes on a brewery tour and introduce you to brewers and other knowledgeable employees who can bring additional insight.
Learn SOMA’s brewing history
While we walk from one brewery to the next, your guide will briefly, but vividly, describe the SOMA’s checkered past and brewing history, using buildings we pass as reference points.
As time passes and beer flows, friendships are made and informative sessions transition into a more festive atmosphere, but your guide will never stop educating those who want to hear more. The tour concludes after about 4 hours. By this point you should be full of smiles and new knowledge, as well as enough beer that you can’t drive home, but you could still walk home.
In San Francisco there is always another great bar nearby. Perhaps you will join some of your new drinking buddies for another pint, a bite to eat, and more beer conversation.
Whether or not you’re able to stick around for that, your guide will be happy to help you find a way home, or recommend other excellent activities in the area.
Which breweries/bars do we visit?
Our destinations are always subject to change; the goal is to expose you to the best set of beer drinking experiences available. Sometimes private events, busy times, and other unforeseen circumstances cause us to alter our original plan, in which case we may also visit tap rooms, gastropubs, and dive bars that have excellent beer selections. These are our possible destinations.
21st Amendment Brewery,
563 2nd St, San Francisco, CA
*This is subject to change due to special events
There are a number of places the tour can end, see the list of breweries in the FAQ section.
Contact us if you want to know about your specific tour.
- Beer Enthusiast/Guide who will bring the craft beer scene and the SOMA neighborhood to life
- VIP visits to at least three San Francisco microbreweries and beer bars
- Generous beer samples at each destination
- Snacks at some stops
- Mini-tour of a microbrewery
- Info about San Francisco and SOMA brewing history
- A celebratory atmosphere which encourages great times and fast friends
- Advice from your guide about how to enjoy the rest of your time in SOMA and San Francisco from a local’s perspective
- Tour destinations are chosen by your tour guide based on availability and the quality of the experience they offer
- Maximum group size 12 guests
- Everyone must be 21 years of age or older to participate
- We walk about 1.5 mi (2.5 km) on this tour
SF on Tap Tours Reviews
What customers say about our Bay Area brewery tours
The beer was excellent and we certainly got our money’s worth. Adam had us try several that I normally would have skipped over and I ended up finding a new appreciation for several styles of beer I hadn’t tried in a while.
…as an out-of-towner I was looking forward to walking through the city to sightsee and learn…even the locals would enjoy the fun facts Adam delivers.
The whole tour had a friendly, laid back feel to it.
Yes. This is a drinking tour and almost everywhere we go only admits people of legal drinking age, which is 21 years old in the USA.
- All tours adhere to our Learn. Drink. Celebrate. slogan. They all offer about the same amount of beer at 3 different locations in four hours
- All tours offer a lot of stories and information about beer styles, ingredients, etc., as well as commentary about the neighborhoods we walk through
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA
- Usually visits 3 breweries (sometimes 2 breweries and 1 bar)
- Features the best tour of a brewing facility (ThirstyBear Organic Brewery)
- Conveniently located not too far from Union Square, which is SF’s main hotel district and close to lots of public transportation including BART (the subway)
- Has the least neighborhood commentary
FISHERMAN’S WHARF AND NORTH BEACH
- Visits 3 bars and thus does not have a brewery tour
- Includes the most commentary about the neighborhoods and SF history, essentially making it half Beer Tour and half Neighborhood Walking Tour
- By taking you through 2 of SF’s most beautiful and visited neighborhoods, it serves as an excellent orientation to the city and is highly recommended early in your stay
ALCATRAZ COMBO TOUR
- Features one of the tours above preceded by the official Alcatraz tour sponsored by the National Parks System and run by Alcatraz Cruises
- Clients pick up their tickets and tour Alcatraz on their own, but the ticket includes a self-guided audio tour of the jailhouse
- Clients eat lunch on their own after Alcatraz and before meeting the group for the beer tour
Our destinations are always subject to change; the goal is to expose you to the best set of beer drinking experiences available. Sometimes private events, busy times, and other unforeseen circumstances cause us to alter our original plan, in which case we may also visit tap rooms, gastropubs, and dive bars that have excellent beer selections. Our possible destinations on each tour are listed below.
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA / BEER & CANNABIS COMBO TOUR – 3 of the following:
FISHERMAN’S WHARF AND NORTH BEACH- 3 of the following:
PRIVATE TOURS / CORPORATE
It’s your choice! Help us plan the perfect tour for you. Consult with our professional staff and we will set you up with the perfect combination of breweries, gastropubs, scenery, education, etc. for your group. Call us now at 415-692-1644 to learn more!
We aren’t going to force you to! You still have to be 21 years old, however, due to the rules of many bars we visit. When purchasing the tour you can choose the “non-drinker” price.
Cancellations made more than 24 hours in advance are 100% refundable. Cancellations made less than 24 hours in advance are not refundable.
Changes made more than 24 hours in advance are permitted. Changes made less than 24 hours in advance are not permitted, and no refund will be issued.
ALCATRAZ COMBO TOURS
Cancellations made more than 11 days in advance are 100% refundable. Cancellations made less than 11 days in advance are not refundable. You may also change the date of your tour up to 11 days before your tour starts, but not after that.
A non-refundable deposit of 50% of quoted price will be collected at the time of booking. The remainder, due at 5pm the day before the tour, is refundable.
When you book directly through our website it allows us to provide the best possible customer service, including:
- Direct communication: Emailing or calling you directly to communicate our meeting location, last-minute details and tips about your tour. If you book with a 3rd party, we don’t receive your contact information and may not be able to get in contact with you.
- Easy cancellations: When you book anywhere aside from our website it takes several days to get your money back to you should you need to cancel. Changing the date of your tour and other things are also more difficult.
- Helpful employees: Our employees are here to help! When you book with us on the web or over the phone our team can offer brewery, restaurant, and hotel recommendations, suggest the best way to get to San Francisco from the airport, and answer any questions you have about the tour.
- Fair Pricing: The ability to keep our prices fair; when you book outside of our website we pay a 20% commission and therefore have to increase the cost of our tours.
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA
21st Amendment Brewery, 563 2nd St, San Francisco, CA*
FISHERMAN’S WHARF & NORTH BEACH
Beer 39 Bar, Pier 39, San Francisco, CA 94133*
ALCATRAZ & CRAFT BEER WALKING TOUR COMBO
Alcatraz Landing, Pier 33, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94133
BEER & CANNABIS COMBO TOUR
CANNABIS: Barbary Coast Dispensary (near Union Square), 952 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
CRAFT BEER: 21st Amendment Brewery, 563 2nd St, San Francisco, CA*
*This is subject to change due to special events
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA
There are a number of places the tour can end, see the list of breweries above. Contact us if you want to know about your specific tour.
FISHERMAN’S WHARF & NORTH BEACH
Barbary Coast Taproom, AKA Noc Noc on Broadway
ALCATRAZ & WALKING CRAFT BEER TOUR COMBO
It depends which tour Alcatraz is being combined with.
For our public tours, we do not offer hotel pick-ups. On our private tours, we can collect you from almost any hotel or residence in San Francisco. Contact us at [email protected]
Public tours have a maximum of 12 guests per group. Private tours do not have a group limit.
- Your ID: Many places in the USA are very strict about not serving beer to people under 21 years old, including most places we visit. Please be able to prove you are 21 or over.
- Shoes or sandals: Make sure they’re comfortable enough for you to walk at least 1.5 mi (2.5 km) in.
- Jacket: San Francisco is famous for its cold foggy summers. Bring a jacket or sweatshirt.
- Water and snacks: You can get both of these at some of our stops, but you can bring them too.
- Extra cash: If you want to buy a snack or stay around after the tour for some beer or food with the group, some of the places we visit accept cash only.
- Great attitude: Come willing to learn and ready to make fast friends. This is as much a celebration as it is a tour and our goal is for this to be your favorite memory of San Francisco.
All our vehicles are modern, comfortable, and safe. We have several different luxury vehicles we use depending on the size of the group and what is reserved on that date. We cannot guarantee which vehicle you will be in, but you are welcome to put in a request if you have a preference. The craft beer tour is a walking tour, with us covering about 1.5 miles between breweries.
We do not include lunch on our tours, though light snacks are provided throughout the tour. We can recommend some of our favorite lunch spots in the San Francisco area after the tour — just ask your guide!
Yes. We recommend booking in advance as our tours are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
Yes, please inform us ahead of time so we can best accommodate you. There may be certain inaccessible areas, such as back in the brewery. All public areas are accessible without stairs and there are no major hills on our routes. Please be comfortable walking/wheeling 1.5 miles (2.5 km) if you book this tour.
Unfortunately, we cannot allow children on these tours. We will be entering facilities where each individual must be 21 years of age or older.
Our tours happen rain or shine! You won’t be out in the elements too long and cannabis and beer are great no matter the weather. Our tours are a fantastic way to spend a rainy day!
No. We love all kinds of pets, but this is a people tour, so people only please. Service dogs are allowed, but please do not abuse this.
Yes! It is possible to book any of our public tours for yourself or your private group. We can also create a tour specially designed for your needs. Please contact us for more information. Parties larger than 12 may not be able to fit at certain locations.
Yes. While the final decision is still yours, tips are a very important gesture of your appreciation in American culture. Your guide depends on tips for a very significant part of his/her wages. We train our guides to go above and beyond the call of duty and hope you feel they did, in which case they have earned your generous tip. If this is not the case, please contact us directly with your feedback and we will do everything we can to provide better service on future tours.
As pulled from Trip Advisor’s US Tipping and Etiquette page:
“Tour Guides: 15% – 20% + depending on quality (knowledge, friendliness, etc)”
If this sounds like the company for you, we’d love to hear from you! Please visit our employment page and use the form there to get in touch with us.