Alcatraz & Craft Beer Walking Tour Combo
The premier way for beer lovers to enjoy San Francisco! Take the official Alcatraz tour in the morning and spend your afternoon drinking and learning about local craft beer while exploring SF breweries and neighborhoods.
Beer included at 3 locations!
9 hours / $149.99
Typically 8:40AM-6PM, Beer tour route varies – see calendar. You will join the 2PM Beer tour listed on the calendar that day.
Morning: Alcatraz Cell House & Island Tour
- Your Alcatraz ticket ($41.01 value)
- Narrated ferry boat ride to and from Alcatraz Island
- Self-guided cell house audio tour
- Ranger and docent tours
- Historic gardens
- Abundant wildlife and spectacular views
Afternoon: Craft Beer Walking Tour
- Visit three craft breweries or beer bars
- Local beer and snacks included at each location
- Tour a brewing facility
- Gain insider perspectives
- Learn SF beer history and raise your beer IQ
- Hear great neighborhood stories
- Celebrate with other craft beer lovers
- Tour route differs by day (see Tour Calendar)
- 12 person maximum
In San Francisco there is always another great bar nearby. Perhaps you will join some of your new drinking buddies for another pint, a bite to eat, and more beer conversation.
Whether or not you’re able to stick around for that, your guide will be happy to help you find a way home, or recommend other excellent activities in the area.
On Your Craft Beer Tour
Your knowledgeable SF on Tap guide will explain the history of brewing in San Francisco, give you a mini-tour of a craft brewing facility, and bring to life the neighborhood you walk through.
Enjoy numerous sizable samples of stellar craft beer from local microbreweries and tap rooms. Industry insiders will give you the story behind the places and the brews.
It’s as much a celebration as it is a tour! Your fun-loving leader will make sure the group bonds early. The information sessions will shorten as glasses empty, laughter increases and friendships form.
Pier 33, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94133
Join us at the respective meeting point to start your beer tour.
There are a number of places the tour can end, see the list of breweries in the FAQ section.
Contact us if you want to know about your specific tour.
Alcatraz & Craft Beer Walking Tour Combo
***SAMPLE ITINERARY: TIMES AND LOCATIONS BELOW MAY VARY GREATLY***
- There will be no SF on Tap guide for the Alcatraz portion of this tour.
- Maximum group size 12 guests
After enjoying the island, and lunch on your own, meet us at the start of your beer tour.
8:40am Arrive for check-in at Pier 33 for the Alcatraz Tour
9:10am Your Alcatraz Tour ferry boat departs
9:25am Arrive at Alcatraz Island to enjoy a self-guided audio tour and time to explore on your own
12:25pm Depart from Alcatraz Island
12:40pm Arrive back at Pier 33
12:40pm – 1:50pm Enjoy lunch (see recommendations document) and make your way to San Francisco Brewing Company in Ghirardelli Square.
Note: Pier 33 to Ghirardelli Square is a 20-25 min walk or a 7 minute Uber/Lyft/taxi ride
2:00pm – Meet your SF on Tap guide for the first time at San Francisco Brewing Company. When you arrive, ask a staff member where the beer tour group is sitting.
2:00pm – 6:00pm Enjoy your Fisherman’s Wharf and North Beach Craft Beer Walking Tour with other craft beer lovers
6:00pm Tour officially ends, but your guide will be happy to help you and your new drinking buddies find great places to eat and drink in the area
Note: Tour will end at Holy Craft Brewery Taproom or Barbary Coast Taproom in North Beach
***SAMPLE ITINERARY: TIMES AND LOCATIONS ABOVE MAY VARY GREATLY***
SF on Tap Tours Reviews
What customers say about our Bay Area brewery tours
The beer was excellent and we certainly got our money’s worth. Adam had us try several that I normally would have skipped over and I ended up finding a new appreciation for several styles of beer I hadn’t tried in a while.
…as an out-of-towner I was looking forward to walking through the city to sightsee and learn…even the locals would enjoy the fun facts Adam delivers.
The whole tour had a friendly, laid back feel to it.
Yes. This is a drinking tour and almost everywhere we go only admits people of legal drinking age, which is 21 years old in the USA.
- All tours adhere to our Learn. Drink. Celebrate. slogan. They all offer about the same amount of beer at 3 different locations in four hours
- All tours offer a lot of stories and information about beer styles, ingredients, etc., as well as commentary about the neighborhoods we walk through
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA
- Usually visits 3 breweries (sometimes 2 breweries and 1 bar)
- Features the best tour of a brewing facility (ThirstyBear Organic Brewery)
- Conveniently located not too far from Union Square, which is SF’s main hotel district and close to lots of public transportation including BART (the subway)
- Has the least neighborhood commentary
FISHERMAN’S WHARF AND NORTH BEACH
- Visits 3 bars and thus does not have a brewery tour
- Includes the most commentary about the neighborhoods and SF history, essentially making it half Beer Tour and half Neighborhood Walking Tour
- By taking you through 2 of SF’s most beautiful and visited neighborhoods, it serves as an excellent orientation to the city and is highly recommended early in your stay
ALCATRAZ COMBO TOUR
- Features one of the tours above preceded by the official Alcatraz tour sponsored by the National Parks System and run by Alcatraz Cruises
- Clients pick up their tickets and tour Alcatraz on their own, but the ticket includes a self-guided audio tour of the jailhouse
- Clients eat lunch on their own after Alcatraz and before meeting the group for the beer tour
Our destinations are always subject to change; the goal is to expose you to the best set of beer drinking experiences available. Sometimes private events, busy times, and other unforeseen circumstances cause us to alter our original plan, in which case we may also visit tap rooms, gastropubs, and dive bars that have excellent beer selections. Our possible destinations on each tour are listed below.
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA / BEER & CANNABIS COMBO TOUR – 3 of the following:
FISHERMAN’S WHARF AND NORTH BEACH- 3 of the following:
PRIVATE TOURS / CORPORATE
It’s your choice! Help us plan the perfect tour for you. Consult with our professional staff and we will set you up with the perfect combination of breweries, gastropubs, scenery, education, etc. for your group. Call us now at 415-692-1644 to learn more!
We aren’t going to force you to! You still have to be 21 years old, however, due to the rules of many bars we visit. When purchasing the tour you can choose the “non-drinker” price.
Cancellations made more than 24 hours in advance are 100% refundable. Cancellations made less than 24 hours in advance are not refundable.
Changes made more than 24 hours in advance are permitted. Changes made less than 24 hours in advance are not permitted, and no refund will be issued.
ALCATRAZ COMBO TOURS
Cancellations made more than 11 days in advance are 100% refundable. Cancellations made less than 11 days in advance are not refundable. You may also change the date of your tour up to 11 days before your tour starts, but not after that.
A non-refundable deposit of 50% of quoted price will be collected at the time of booking. The remainder, due at 5pm the day before the tour, is refundable.
When you book directly through our website it allows us to provide the best possible customer service, including:
- Direct communication: Emailing or calling you directly to communicate our meeting location, last-minute details and tips about your tour. If you book with a 3rd party, we don’t receive your contact information and may not be able to get in contact with you.
- Easy cancellations: When you book anywhere aside from our website it takes several days to get your money back to you should you need to cancel. Changing the date of your tour and other things are also more difficult.
- Helpful employees: Our employees are here to help! When you book with us on the web or over the phone our team can offer brewery, restaurant, and hotel recommendations, suggest the best way to get to San Francisco from the airport, and answer any questions you have about the tour.
- Fair Pricing: The ability to keep our prices fair; when you book outside of our website we pay a 20% commission and therefore have to increase the cost of our tours.
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA
Thirsty Bear Brewing Co, 661 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94105*
FISHERMAN’S WHARF & NORTH BEACH
Beer 39 Bar, Pier 39, San Francisco, CA 94133*
ALCATRAZ & CRAFT BEER WALKING TOUR COMBO
Alcatraz Landing, Pier 33, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94133
BEER & CANNABIS COMBO TOUR
CANNABIS: Barbary Coast Dispensary (near Union Square), 952 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
CRAFT BEER: Thirsty Bear Brewery, 661 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94105*
*This is subject to change due to special events
BIG SIPPIN’ IN SOMA
There are a number of places the tour can end, see the list of breweries above. Contact us if you want to know about your specific tour.
FISHERMAN’S WHARF & NORTH BEACH
Barbary Coast Taproom, AKA Noc Noc on Broadway
ALCATRAZ & WALKING CRAFT BEER TOUR COMBO
It depends which tour Alcatraz is being combined with.
For our public tours, we do not offer hotel pick-ups. On our private tours, we can collect you from almost any hotel or residence in San Francisco. Contact us at [email protected]
Public tours have a maximum of 12 guests per group. Private tours do not have a group limit.
- Your ID: Many places in the USA are very strict about not serving beer to people under 21 years old, including most places we visit. Please be able to prove you are 21 or over.
- Shoes or sandals: Make sure they’re comfortable enough for you to walk at least 1.5 mi (2.5 km) in.
- Jacket: San Francisco is famous for its cold foggy summers. Bring a jacket or sweatshirt.
- Water and snacks: You can get both of these at some of our stops, but you can bring them too.
- Extra cash: If you want to buy a snack or stay around after the tour for some beer or food with the group, some of the places we visit accept cash only.
- Great attitude: Come willing to learn and ready to make fast friends. This is as much a celebration as it is a tour and our goal is for this to be your favorite memory of San Francisco.
All our vehicles are modern, comfortable, and safe. We have several different luxury vehicles we use depending on the size of the group and what is reserved on that date. We cannot guarantee which vehicle you will be in, but you are welcome to put in a request if you have a preference. The craft beer tour is a walking tour, with us covering about 1.5 miles between breweries.
We do not include lunch on our tours, though light snacks are provided throughout the tour. We can recommend some of our favorite lunch spots in the San Francisco area after the tour — just ask your guide!
Yes. We recommend booking in advance as our tours are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
Yes, please inform us ahead of time so we can best accommodate you. There may be certain inaccessible areas, such as back in the brewery. All public areas are accessible without stairs and there are no major hills on our routes. Please be comfortable walking/wheeling 1.5 miles (2.5 km) if you book this tour.
Unfortunately, we cannot allow children on these tours. We will be entering facilities where each individual must be 21 years of age or older.
Our tours happen rain or shine! You won’t be out in the elements too long and cannabis and beer are great no matter the weather. Our tours are a fantastic way to spend a rainy day!
No. We love all kinds of pets, but this is a people tour, so people only please. Service dogs are allowed, but please do not abuse this.
Yes! It is possible to book any of our public tours for yourself or your private group. We can also create a tour specially designed for your needs. Please contact us for more information. Parties larger than 12 may not be able to fit at certain locations.
Yes. While the final decision is still yours, tips are a very important gesture of your appreciation in American culture. Your guide depends on tips for a very significant part of his/her wages. We train our guides to go above and beyond the call of duty and hope you feel they did, in which case they have earned your generous tip. If this is not the case, please contact us directly with your feedback and we will do everything we can to provide better service on future tours.
As pulled from Trip Advisor’s US Tipping and Etiquette page:
“Tour Guides: 15% – 20% + depending on quality (knowledge, friendliness, etc)”
If this sounds like the company for you, we’d love to hear from you! Please visit our employment page and use the form there to get in touch with us.